An “avatar” is an image that represents you online—a little picture that appears next to your name when you interact with websites. A Gravatar is a Globally Recognized Avatar. You upload it and create your profile just once, and then when you participate in any Gravatar-enabled site, your Gravatar image will automatically follow you there. Gravatar is a free service.
Getting started with Gravatar is easy; you’ll need to have a WordPress.com account and then authorize that account to connect to Gravatar.
These steps take about 5 minutes and will save you time in the long run.
- Step #1: Go to gravatar.com
- Step #2: On the Gravatar home page, click on the Sign In button at the top-right of your browser window.
- Step #3: Enter your email address (make sure this is correct) and select a username and a password,
- Step #4: An email will be sent to confirm your address. Click on the Activate Account button to finish the process.
- Step #5: You’ll be taken back to WordPress.com where you’ll see a message thanking you for confirming your email and asking you if you want to head back over to Gravatar.
- Step #6: Assign an image to your email account(s). Click “My Computer’s hard drive” to select a photo from your computer.
- Step #7: Choose file and find the photo you want to use on your computer.
- Step #8: Crop the photo. This is fun and fairly self explanatory. Then click “G” for your rating.
- You’re done! Now your comments on blogs and forums around the world will have your avatar.